Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 32 --- First real day with the new diet

Day 32 ----  First day with the new diet

Today was the first day where I could have a greater variety.  Today is Saturday and I was back working with King's Christian School in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.  Today was a big day for the school.  It was there fall Open House.  My job was to look for areas that went really well and recognize these but also to find room for betterment.

There were lots of yummy snacks available, but I never found one thing that I could consume, save one.  I found that the seniors were selling bottles of water.  Perfect, as I was feeling dehydrated.

It was a full and busy day to be sure.  Finally it was time to call it a day.  My good friend John, who is the head of the leadership team, invited me to lunch with him and his dear wife Rosemary.  They took me to a local diner with a large menu.  I went with a big salad and was just careful with what I ate and what I didn't.  I stayed away from blue cheese, etc and focused on lettuce, tomatoes, and the regular stuff.  It was delicious and their company was marvelous.  What is not to like about these two?  They are both wonderful.

I asked them if they could recommend any special places to be sure to visit while in the Philadelphia area.  They said you have to go to McGillin's Olde Ale House.  It's the oldest pub in Philly.  John offered to come along with me and at first I accepted but then remembering that he had been away from his wife for a few days and that he will be taking me to a couple of events in the coming days, I changed my mind in having John around.  In truth, I love the guy and would have loved his company.  There is no doubt about that but I wanted to be sure that I was not becoming a burden on his relationship with his wife.

But I did take John's advice and I did drive into Philly to go to McGillin's.  I wasn't sure what to expect but I was looking forward to it.  So, off I went.

It was loud and fun there and fun to think about how many people had been there before I.  This was to be the first meal where I could have meat, so that's what I did.  I ordered the Caesar salad which was topped with a small piece of Filet Mignon.  It was perfectly healthy and completely delicious.  I sat at the bar and ordered an Octoberfest beer, one of my favorite drinks.  Now I knew that I was pushing it by having a beer and not even a light one at that.  But I had a plan.  I would only drink a little.  Now you might be thinking, yeah right.  But that is what I did.  I drank about half and then asked the bartender to remove it.  She was concerned that I didn't like it but after a quick explanation, she agreed but insisted that it stay within arm's reach in case I changed my mind.  I assured her that I was not going to have any more, and I didn't have any more.  So a short beer, a mini steak, and a delicious salad and I was set.

The guy at the bar seated next to me was very interested in what I had been doing and asked a bunch of questions.  I enjoyed answering them for him.  It's a fun topic to discuss.


No comments:

Post a Comment