Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 28 --- Wrapping it up, into the homestretch

Day 28  ---  Into the homestretch I go

Today is day 28.  I felt great today.  It probably also helped that I had a lot to do today.

I was up early, 5:30, so that I could start to adjust to the East Coast time zone.  I leave on day 30 for Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and Rochester, New York.  I need to hit the ground running and with a three hour time difference and meetings starting at 7:00 and 8:00 in the morning, I felt it was a good idea to get a jump start.

Before I start into all of this, I was pretty stoked that the chicken soup that I made turned out so well.  I knew that it was going to taste great.  I first realized this when a few hours after making the soup, Suzy and I returned from a little shopping trip out to Costco.  When we got home it was near dark, if not dark already.  When we walked into the front yard, I could smell something delicious.  I thought that there was no way that this could be the soup.  But sure enough, the closer that we got to the open windows on our home, the better and stronger the scent was.  We opened the door and Bamm there it was.  The delicious aroma of home made chicken soup.  I couldn't wait to have a mug.  So, of course I did.  And yes, it was delicious.  It had that old home made flavor. But to kick it up a bit, I added a dried Pasilla chili pepper for some rich, smokey spiciness to the broth.  It totally worked.  Suzy even had a cup with me.

The day was a whirlwind.  A haircut early, a short school visit, meeting with two contractors, running back out to Costco pharmacy, shopping for my Suzy, and then home.  All in all, it was a blur until about 6:00 PM when I got home and sat down with Suzy for a nice warm cup of soup broth.  Delicious.  So savory.

Then the packing began, and preparations for my two week trip to work with schools in the East.  Suzy started laying out some clothes for me and I worked on car rentals and planning hotels, etc.  I so appreciate her help in getting me ready to go.  I know that many other spouses wouldn't help, but perhaps it is that attitude of hers, and hopefully mine, that makes our marriage strong.  She has been such a support to me throughout this whole month long journey.  Really, she was in a very high degree my motivation for doing this.  Now at the risk of sounding way to mushy, here is what happened at the end of the night.

Finally at the end of the day, we sat down to watch an episode of a great TV show on Netflix called "Friday Night Lights".  The two of us love this show and we are watching the first season right now.  It is a great and wholesome show that is so rarely found any more on any small or big screen.  Well, we finished the episode and snuggled into the covers and began to reflect on our day, the last month, and plans to finish the fast tomorrow just before my trip back East.  I was struck by how much my wife loves me and how supportive she has been to me, certainly for the last 30 days but truly from day one of our marriage.  We are so blessed but it does take effort but the effort seems unnoticeable compared to the blessing.  Perhaps I'm not building the emotion well, but if you have ever had that "Ah ha" moment in a relationship when you realize how special what you have really is, you'll get it.  So with tears in my eyes, I thanked my bride of nearly 15 years for her love and support, daily.

Tomorrow is the big day.  Looking forward to it.  And here's the link!! Click here for DAY 29

No comments:

Post a Comment