Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 29 --- The final day begins

Day 29  ---  The beginning of the final day.

It is early morning and today is the final day of my fast.  Some would say, wait, that can't be right.  Today is only day 29.  Yes that is true.  But I'm not quitting early, like really?  Would I really go this long to end only one day early?  Of course not.  Truth be told, I know that I could easily do this for another 10 days and if I was really obese, I could do this for another month if I knew that the doctor was ok with it and if I really needed to lose the weight.  At this point, it's pretty easy.  I'm just cruising along now.

So why end now?  Tomorrow I leave at 5:30 AM for the Northeast and will be traveling all day.  It would be very difficult to do this and travel but that said, I could do it. It's not impossible.  Just a bit of a challenge.  It's all about will power.  I could really do it.  So then why not wait a day?

As you might have noticed, if you read yesterday's blog post, my wife and I are very close.  I would like to be able to celebrate this culmination with her.  So tonight we go out to dinner to live it up, well, sort of.

Apparently, according to the doctor, it is critical that I not jump back into regular food immediately.  It is definitely a transition.  So day 30 won't be like burger and fries at all.  Dr. Scott Saunders has instructed me to take a period of days to eat only high fiber foods.  Nuts, seeds, vegetables, lentils, and some other items.  Note that hot fudge Sundae is not on the list.  This is of the utmost importance to avoid major digestive issues.

This point was struck home by my dear friend, Pastor Ray.  He's been a friend for many years and is a dear man.  He was on a five day fast.  To celebrate the breaking of the fast he went to breakfast with some friends and had an apple fritter.  He said that his digestive system was badly out of whack for a week.  Now, I'm not sure that I am craving an apple fritter right now, but I'm sure that there are plenty of foods that could "mess me up".

Consequently, and as I have from the beginning, I am following the advice of my medical doctor.  Speaking of him, I meet with him today for a visit to wrap up the fast.  I'm really looking forward to this and hearing his thoughts about the future of my diet, exercise, and nutritional supplements.

I'm sure that I will write more as a follow up to this especially where the transition time and the future diet will be so important.  After all, I didn't do this to continue as I was, overweight and unhealthy.  I did this to jump start my life and make a new me before my 50th birthday.

I'll write more later after visiting the doctor and my first dinner tonight!! How exciting!!

CLICK HERE for the next post!!

Please share this blog on Facebook or wherever you think it would be helpful, tell a friend :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment