Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 29 --- (Dinner) Finally a real meal

Day 29 --- Dinner, as in a real, solid food meal

It's a date.  A date to remember but also a date with my sweet wife of 15 years, well 15 years this December.  I was so looking forward to this meal, and more importantly being able to go out to dinner with my bride on a real date.  So, I asked her when she wanted for me to pick her up at home.  We set a time and I waited, impatiently.

Knowing that we would be going out soon and that Suzy would want to get ready before dinner, I got ready early with the plan being to stay out of the house until the time when I was to pick up my date.  Six O'clock was the arrangement.  So I took a shower and picked out a pressed dress shirt and Suzy's favorite jeans, on me that is.  Then I slipped out for a meeting with one of three triplets related to college planning.  I was excited for the evening and happy to have the meeting to keep me occupied until at least 5:30.

After the meeting, I walked around our little village and picked some flowers to bring to Suzy before our date.  Also, I got the car straightened out and walked around waiting for 6:00PM.  Finally it was just about time and so I walked up to our home, flowers in hand, and rang the doorbell.  And there she was standing there, Miss America, looking as beautiful as ever.  I couldn't help but notice my heart rate increase a bit.  I just love this girl.  Suzy was completely ready to go and truly did look beautiful, which is pretty easy for her.

Off we went feeling like a school boy on a first date.  We took our time driving to Sojourner Restaurant in downtown SB.  I asked for there very best table "because we were celebrating".  There gave us a lovely table in the corner and for the first time in 30 days, I held a menu in my hands.  I was not just excited that was going to be able to eat soon, but that there were so many choices available to me that were healthy and delicious.  But after reading nearly every item on the menu, I ended up choosing one of my favorite dishes at Sojourner and after many years of eating it, I just now realized how healthy it is for me.  I've included part of the menu below, just for fun.  I proudly order the Golden Indian Dhal.  It is a bowl of stewed red lentils with a variety of mixed vegetables and a side of brown rice.  I also ordered a side of avocado, just for fun.  Suzy ordered the Gazpacho and a great salad.  She has been on her own diet as well and so this was a treat for her as well.

We were in no hurry, but I was a bit anxious and excited.  The meal arrived and it looked beautiful.  I could see chunks of different vegetables sticking out of the red lentils and the brown rice looked wonderful.  I took one bit and savored the way the warm solid food felt in my mouth.  It felt heavy on my tongue and reassuring.  It was delicious.  I haven't been a big fan of brown rice, but I have to say that it tasted wonderful, especially mixed with the lentils.  The avocado was absolutely perfect.  I really enjoyed the contrast between the cool avocado and the warm Indian Dhal.  Suzy was thoroughly enjoying her Gazpacho, a favorite to be sure for her.

We enjoyed our time together so very much.  The food, although it was disappointingly slightly better than warm with the rice being cool, was delicious and fulfilling none the less.  I might have mentioned this to the staff but after 30 days of no solid food, I was in no mood to complain.  The small serving, I ordered the lunch sized plate, was more than enough.  I was full and my mouth was happy.

Suzy and I enjoyed our meal and then went for a walk around the downtown area before heading back to our home, full, content, happy, satisfied, and proud of myself.

(By the way, this isn't the end.  I didn't really know it at this point but there a lot more to come)

CLICK HERE FOR MORE


No comments:

Post a Comment